Thursday, September 25, 2008

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Summary: In Coraline's family's new flat there's a locked door. On the other side is a brick wall—until Coraline unlocks the door . . . and finds a passage to another flat in another house just like her own.
Only different.
The food is better there. Books have pictures that writhe and crawl and shimmer. And there's another mother and father there who want Coraline to be their little girl. They want to change her and keep her with them. . . . Forever.
.
My Review: Insanely creepy book about a young girl trapped in an alternate world--hmmmm. I guess "scary beyond all reason" just wasn't on my list of things to read this last week because even though Coraline was a breezy 162 pages, it took me a while to get moving. I almost gave up reading halfway through (which I hardly ever do) because I was so freaked out. The only thing that kept me reading was that I was sort of scared in a good way...the way the hair stands up on the back of your neck and you get goosebumps all over and are so tense that if your four year old crept up next you and touched your arm you'd jump out of your skin. This book really redeemed itself for me the deeper I got into it. It is too hard to go into and out of the sadistic world that Gaiman creates....once you are out of it you DO NOT want to return. For full effect, you must sit, alone, and read it cover to cover...maybe with a flashlight...and a stone with a hole in it.
.
My rating: 3 stars (It was okay.)

How late do you want to stay up dealing with nightmares? This book is billed as a young adult novel...so don't give it to your 10 year old. 13 maybe. 10 no. It's not "horror movie" gross. It's just really really creepy.
.
If I had to sum this book up in one phrase it would be: Alice in Wonderland...on crack.

2 comments:

Sweet Em said...

Is it a kids book? Or an adult book about a kid?

CurtisandMindy said...

i'd say is a young adult book...i definitely would NOT recommend it to a kid younger than 13 though. Nightmares!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails