Sunday, October 5, 2008

Somebody's Baby by Charlotte Vale Allen

Summary: At thirty-one, Snow Devane is a successful photographer living in Manhattan. Her life is all she wants it to be. And she has finally managed to establish some distrance from the mother who would, given the opportunity, suffocate her with caring concern. Then on her deathbed, Snow's mother confesses to an unthinkable crime. She kidnapped an infant from a New York City supermarket. Snow is somebody's baby, but not hers. Snow'sentire life now appears to be a lie. Who was Anne Cooke? What drove her to steal another woman's child? And, most important, who is Snow Devane? In the grip of fearful panic, she and her cloest friend, Katie Shimura, set out to learn Snow's identity and to try to find her birth parents.
.
My review: To put it bluntly...I wasn't impressed. This was one of those "relationship books" that, for me, never managed to make me really care--to make that connection for me and get me involved in the lives of the characters. Sure, I cared that the girl had been kidnapped and I wanted to solve the mystery of who she was, where she came from, and what kind of woman would steal her...but when the end came and some things were unresolved, I still found I didn't much care. That was very telling. If I'm not upset...if I DON'T want to throw the book across the room because it has left me with unanswered questions, then it wasn't good enough to begin with.
Unmemorable though it was, "Somebody's Baby" did make me think about a few things. As I read, I thought alot about the relationship that I have with my mother, and the kind of relationship that I would like to have with my daughters. There are so many ways that you could go wrong...that through your own actions you can dramatically affect someone's life for better or worse. It also made me sad because I feel that in a lot of ways, we don't know that much about our parents....to us they are Mom and Dad. That is their identity and we often don't examine much further than that until it is too late to really get to know who they really were. So I suppose that I should thank CVA for prompting me to want to know more about them.
.
My rating: 2.5 stars (Translation: It didn't suck...but I won't be reading it again or recommending it.)
This is an adult novel. Some language. Some sex.
.
If I could sum this book up in one phrase it would be: Flat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book wasted my valuable time with no conclusion or resolution. Totally disgusted and disappointed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails