Friday, November 21, 2008

The Family Under the Bridge

by Natalie Savage Carlson

Summary: Once there was an old man named Armand who lived under a bridge in Paris. Everything he owned could be pushed around in an old baby buggy without a hood--it was easy for him to move from place to place. Armand loved his solitary, carefree life. Children, he said, were like starlings, and one was better off without them. But the children who lived under the bridge knew a true friend when they saw one, even if that friend was a little bit grumpy to begin with. And it did not take Armand long to see that he had gotten himself a ready-made family--one he loved with all his heart, and one he would have to find a better home for than the bridge.

My review: I zoomed through this book. It might have something to do with the fact that it is a whopping 97 pages. Still, this book is heartwarming throughout. We have all known someone who was hard and crusty on the outside and a big fat gushy marshmallow on the inside. Armand is that person. I enjoyed reading about his struggle to hold the children at arms length and his eventual recognition that there was no way to keep them out of his heart. This story would be a wonderful story to read your children around Christmas time. It is, at it's essence, about love and the true meaning of a "home" and a "family."

My rating: 4.5 stars. (I'm glad I have my own copy. I'd love to read this to my girls.)

If I could sum this book up in one phrase it would be: A warm and toasty feel-good read.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails