Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

Summary: Nursery magic is very strange and wonderful, and only those playthings that are old and wise and experienced like the Skin Horse understand all about it.
"What is real?" asked the Rabbit one day. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for along, long time, not just to play with but REALLY loves you, then you become Real. It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. Generally by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

My review: I absolutely adore this book. I think I probably should have read it before now, but somehow it has never happened. So, when I found out my daughter would be going to see the play for preschool at at the beginning of this month, I thought it would be a good idea to read it together. It was a wonderful experience! MW's story, though small, is very descriptive and perfectly creates for you the world of this love-worn rabbit. It is suitably written to read aloud with lots of places for added emphasis and wide-eyed, dramatic pauses. When I would look at my daughter in mock wonder over things happening in the story she would look right back at me, her face a mirror image of my own. This book has forever changed how I look at our "Reals"--Pink and Lovey Bear. No matter how dirty and worn, now they are a little less germy in my eyes. I am so excited to go with her to see the play and we'll definitely read this one again!

My rating: 5 stars. I LOVE LOVE LOVED IT.

If I could sum this book up in one phrase it would be: Drenched with nursery magic.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails