Thursday, December 25, 2008

Frindle by Andrew Clements

Summary: Is Nick Allen a troublemaker? He really just likes to liven things up at school--and he's always had plenty of great ideas. When Nick learns some interesting information about how words are created, suddenly he's got the inspiration for his best plan ever...the frindle. Who says a pen has to be called a pen? Why not call it a frindle? Things begin innocently enough as Nick gets his friends to use the new word. Then other people in town start saying frindle. Soon the school is in an uproar, and Nick has become a local hero. his teacher wants Nick to put an end to all this nonsense, but the funny thing is frindle doesn't belong to Nick anymore. The new word is spreading across the country, and there's nothing Nick can do to stop it.

My review: Frindle is a quick read and the heartwarming story of an resourceful and gutsy 5th grader who decides to put what he learns in school to the test. Who says what a word means? We do. If that is true, can he make a new word? His efforts to further his experiment are creative and hysterical and you can't help but fall in love with him for all the trouble he causes. I don't doubt that all his teachers secretly loved him as well for his wit, ingenuity, and that spark of mischief inside him. Of course, every story has a villain and this ones is Mrs. Lorelei Granger--dictionary lover, wordsmith extraordinaire, and Nick's current language arts teacher, who insists that he cease and desists all his frindle-ish efforts. There is, she says, quite simply, no need for new and frivolous words in the English language. And so the Battle of Frindle begins, and when it ends--and I mean really ends--I got a little misty. I really enjoyed this story. Overall, Frindle has a touching message about the power of the English language and the power that we have to change it.

NOTE: I think that secretly I wanted to be him in school. The one who made everyone laugh. I was the geek. The one who made everyone laugh, but for significantly more humiliating reasons.

My rating: 4 stars (Glad I own it)

If I could sum this book up in one phrase it would be: Simply gagarificious!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like a great read. Can I borrow it to read to my creative little guy?

CurtisandMindy said...

absolutely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails