Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Aquamarine - Alice Hoffman

**Disclaimer** I hate movie covers--with a fiery passion that will never die. Unfortunately, this is the only edition selling right now. So, before you completely discard this book based solely on it's cover, read the following review and really TRY to ignore the three little tweeners hanging out to the left.

Summary: Hailey and Claire are spending their last summer together when they discover something at the bottom of the murky pool at the Capri Beach Club. There in the depths is a mysterious and beautiful creature with a sharp tongue and a broken heart: a mermaid named Aquamarine who has left her six sisters to search for love on land. Now, as this mythological yet very real being starts to fade in the burning August sun--a rescue is begun.

On the edge of growing up, during a summer that is the hottest on record, Hailey and Claire are discovering that life can take an unpredictable course, friendship is forever, and magic can be found in the most unexpected places.

My review: I love Alice Hoffman--particularly her books Green Angel and Blackbird House--so when I saw a book of hers that was only 105 pages. Well, how could I resist? That's something I could finish with about an hour of reading. I've never seen the movie that is based off of this book, but I've been told the two are very different (as the movie and the book often are) and that the book is infinitely better (of course). Aquamarine did not disappoint. It is tale about two girls, best friends, who are going to have to go their separate ways at the end of the summer. They are in the midst of savoring their last days together when they discover a mermaid trapped in the pool of their nearly demolished country club. Not just any mermaid, but a mermaid with attitude and one that intends to stay put (and die in the process) unless the two girls intervene. It's a supremely short read, but definitely worth it, and ends just as it should. Alice Hoffman's books generally have a feel about them, and atmosphere, that I find hard to explain except to say that if you close your eyes, you are there, in the book, on the beach with the hot sand between your toes and the scorching sun beating down upon your shoulders. I loved it just as much the second time through.

My rating: 4 stars ( A great book to read aloud to your kids or to a classroom )

If I could sum this book up in one phrase it would be: A true beach read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book is one of the best books that I have ever read in my whole life.Even though I am only ten years old.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails