Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Host - Stephenie Meyer

Read Emily's review here.
Review by Alicia Connell - currently acting as a "mommy-substitute" while Emily is on bed rest, she is joining the "reading for sanity" cause.
Summary:
A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing.

My Review:
At the beginning of this book it was difficult for me to really get into it. I kept thinking no way can it be as good as the Twilight series. I also thought it would be similar to Twilight and that made it difficult also cause I was afraid I would read this one and twilight would be ruined.

I was wrong.
Once I got time and I pushed aside my doubt-filled thoughts I was able to read and keep reading until I finished it almost without taking any brakes. This book was not so much scary but a little intense and at times frustrating. I often would get upset and put the book down but then right after I would pick it up because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. There are characters that I despised when they were first introduced but as they were more involved and I got to know them I loved them. A few in particular. I fell in love with some of them and I wanted to yell at others.
As I started getting closer to the end I didn't think that there was any possible way that there could be a good happy ending. I kept thinking what only four more chapters there's got to be more how can it even end in four more chapters. But there was a way.

My Rating: 4.8 Stars. I'm taking off .2 for a little bit of a slow beginning.

Summed up in one phrase: Surprising and captivating

1 comment:

CurtisandMindy said...

I feel the same way about the book being a slow starter. It was hard for me to get into because I SOOOO wanted another Twilight. Having finished it, I feel it was different enough that they can't really be compared. It definitely picked up more towards the end. Good Job Alicia, thanks for Guest Reviewing (and for taking such good care of Sweet Em)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails