Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ransom My Heart - Meg Cabot

**I know, I know. I gag at the title myself. Moving on.**

Summary: He's a tall, handsome knight with a secret. She's an adventurous beauty with more than a few secrets of her own. Finnula needs money for her sister's dowry, and fast. Hugo Fitzstephen, Earl of Stephensgate, returning home to England from the Crusades, has money, saddlebags of gold and jewels and lots of it. What could be simpler than to kidnap him and hold him for ransom? Especially when he's more than willing to allow himself to be caught by such a winsome captor.

Well, for starters, Finnula could make the terrible mistake of falling in love with her hostage, only to realize he's been lying about his identity all along. But then, so has she. Now their lives--and the lives of everyone they know and love--could be in mortal danger. Is Finnula Crais in hell? Or in heaven?

My review: Hold on. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Just a second...okay. I'm good. First off, I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I actually read this book let alone reviewed it. I am, after all a 28-year old mother of two, and not the 13 year old girl that this book was marketed to. However, I found myself in the middle of a craziness-induced funk and, as the name of this blog indicated, I needed to read my way out of it. What better way to claw my way out of a mild depression than to read a young adult romance, rarely based in any type of reality, and written (okay, sort of written) by the author of The Princess Diaries?

Ransom My Heart is intended to be a medieval love story and the first half had the feel of Robin Hood, with some gender-swapping. While the story was light and romantic, there wasn’t much more to it than that. Even as love stories go, it was pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. Hugo, with all his swagger, had an utterly predictable view of women and Finnula was astoundingly na├»ve, despite her fiery temper and tendency to skinny dip. It also has the extrememly unpleasant distinction of being one of many highly adult books masquerading as a young adult book. You KNOW how I feel about that. I wasn’t eighteen pages in before I was startled by a sentence or two that had NO place in a book for young girls. Had it been a one time thing I probably would have ignored it but, unfortunately, it just kept getting worse. I’ve never read Meg Cabot before, so I can’t say if this is standard fare as far as her books go, but I can say that I was disappointed in what could have been a cute (and innocent) love story for teens that I would perhaps keep on my shelf for when the girls are older. Instead, despite it’s potentially fun premise, it goes back to the library, and Meg Cabot gets crossed off the list of authors I plan on reading.

My rating: 2 Stars. Fun at times, but utterly predictable and NOT young adult in nature.

If I could sum this book up in one phrase it would be: Disappointing

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails