Saturday, April 11, 2009

Among the Hidden - Margaret Peterson Haddix

Summary: Luke has never been to school. He's never had a birthday party, or gone to a friends house for an overnight. In fact, Luke has never had a friend.
Luke is one of the shadow children, a third child forbidden by the population police.He's lived his entire life in hiding, and now, with a new housing development replacing the woods next to his family's farm, he is no longer allowed to even go outside.
Then, one day, Luke sees a girl's face in the window of a house where he knows two other children already live.Finally, he's met a shadow child like himself. Jen is willing to risk everything to come out of the shadows--does Luke dare to become involved in her dangerous plan? Can he afford not to?

My review: Luke is a young boy, born third in a house that already had two sons. He is forced from the first pages of the book to flee indoors when his family hears the rumble of machinery clearing the woods. Taking a last deep breath of honeysuckle, he runs inside, knowing that it may be his last time, ever outdoors.
Overall this book was interesting and would be compelling especially for the young reader it is intended for. Being an adult, I think I saw to many "holes" in the story. To many things that could never happen, or character exchanges that were to far fetched. Sometime I am able to 'turn myself over' to the story and just forget about the holes. But, I think the style of writing that was used for this novel did not allow me to do that as well as other books might have.
That being said, it is a GREAT book. The storyline is chilling and very intelligent. I like the decision making that Luke is forced to undertake, and the oh so child like way he thinks. I will definitely read the rest of the series.

My Rating: 3 stars for me- 4 for any young adult.

If I could sum this book up in one phrase: Especially chilling for a "kids" book.

1 comment:

Sweet Em said...

Hum, interesting premise...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails