Monday, June 15, 2009

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling

Summary: For twelve long years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort.

Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter's defeat of You-Know-Who was Black's downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, "He's at Hogwarts...he's at Hogwarts."

Harry Potter isn't safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may well be a traitor in their midst.

My review: The third book in the Harry Potter Series was, as usual, a really great read, but I didn't like it as much as the first two. The main characters seemed to be fighting amongst themselves quite a lot which pulled away from the playful camaraderie that had been built over the last few books. While some of the trademark HP humor was still there, the fighting was distracting for me and I missed some of the amazing one-liners that packed her other two books. All the upset, however, was pivotal to the plotline, and so I have to just chalk my disgruntlement (yes, I believe I just made that word up) up to my personal tastes. The story was still well written with a multitude of unforseen twists and crazy tense moments--enough that (since I was reading out loud) I found myself actually shouting the lines...and making a bit of a hoarse idiot out of myself. Of all the books, so far, this one had the most jaw-dropping surprises hands down. If you're reading this book for the first time, you'll be amazed, in the end, at how all the different plotlines, character struggles, and hints that you've been given throughout the book come together in a way that is completely unexpected. All in all, I felt this was still a fabulously unpredictable read made ever so slightly less enjoyable by some tension between the characters.

My rating: 4.25 Stars. Cuz I can. I'd say the material is getting a little older. There is more angst and anger in this one, along with scary moments, and a few situations where languange almost becomes an issue. Like calling someone a rotting b...and then getting interrupted. Still a total PG, but inching away...

Sum it up in one phrase: They're getting hormonal and starting to fight. I guess it's to be expected.

1 comment:

Katieb said...

That was a great review. I just finished that book not long ago and now I'm starting the 4th in the series.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails