Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Start and Run a Graphic Design Business - Michael Huggins

Summary: Many graphic designers struggle with aspects of turning their talent in to a profitable business. You don't have to!

Whether you have just stepped into the world of graphic design or you are part of an existing venture, this book details everything you need to know to start and run you own successful graphic design business--from understanding the particulars of the field and establishing your niche, to getting clients and actually doing the work. It is a step by step guide that unleashes the secret to success: being creative with a business mind-set.

In recent years, advances in technology and the prevalence of the Internet have significantly changed the graphic design business. Photo- and art-sharing sites, social networking sites, and low barriers to setting p websites have heightened the demand for fresh graphics. Opportunities in this field are booming, with new customers and markets at your fingertips.

Start and Run a Graphic Design Business will show you how to get those opportunities into the palm of your hand, by giving you the tools you need to develop a thriving and sustainable graphic design venture, regardless of your previous business experience(photo:amazon, summary:back of book).

My Review: Before I review this book, I feel like I need to say that I have no plans to open a graphic design business. However, it is something that interests me and if I did decide to pursue that venue, this is the book I would turn to.

I first thought that this type of text book reading would be difficult. I found, however, that it was quite engaging, making you think about how you would do things and how other people would view your business from the outside.

It is very well organized, taking you from the beginning phases and development of an idea, into the sustainment and continued marketing techniques that are most effective for your area and target market. I found those points especially easy to understand and assess even in the very preliminary stages of business planning.

Again, I have no big plans for a graphic design business, but I am intrigued by the diversity of thoughts and concepts that this book was able to present in an easy to understand step by step format.

My Rating: 4 Stars

If I had to sum this book up in one phrase: Top notch educational writing.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

What a great blog you have here :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails