Monday, June 29, 2009

Start & Run a Real Home-Based Business - Dan Furman

Summary: All over North America, people who want more control over their lives are starting home-based businesses. Despite the obvious attractions of independence and convenience, there are many risks to be aware of. Start & Run a Real Home-Based Business offers step-by-step advice, from selecting the type of business to run, to marketing and growing the business. The book comes with a CD-ROM loaded with worksheets, forms, and documents to help the entrepreneur get started. Furman's tips can be applied to many different types of home-based businesses, including computer services, plumbing services, daycares, hair salons, electricians, and numerous others. Furman gives 'real world' advice from the trenches, with tips and pointers to help the entrepreneur succeed.The book provides additional advice on how to deal with the common problems that arise when working from your home, such as how to get your family on board. This book is for anyone who has considered a part-time or full-time home-based business.

My Review: I would have to argue with the last sentence in the above summary. If you are like me and believe it would be great to own a successful home-based business yet have no ideas on what type of business you'd like to try, then this book probably is not for you. Or maybe it is, just don't expect it to give you any ideas on the type of business to start. If you already have a general idea of what you'd like to do, this is the first book I would turn to as it will give you a running start to starting your own business.

I have never enjoyed reading textbook material so I have to say that I somewhat dreaded opening this book. I was pleasantly surprised though as to how different this read from a textbook. Furman gives you a short and entertaining autobiography while laying out the steps to running a home-based business. He has a humorous writing style that makes it easy to keep reading. I was shocked to find myself actually enjoying my time inside the cover of this book.

I love how the book is divided up. Furman chose to organize his information into three main sections: mind, body, and soul. Within these sections are short (generally 3-5 page) chapters where the information is given to you in a very direct manner. The author not only uses his own experiences to prove his points but also draws on everyday life experiences that anyone can relate to. It all amounts to an interesting and educational book with no extra fluff or hard to decipher business jargon.

My Rating: 4 stars, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to start their own home-based business
If I had to sum it up in one phrase it would be: The first book I will turn to once a brilliant idea for a home-based business pops into my head.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails