Friday, June 5, 2009

To Catch a Pirate - Jade Parker

Summary: When Annalisa Townsend's ship is set upon by pirates in search of her father's treasure, one of the crew, James Sterling discovers her in the hold. When he moves to take her necklaces, she begs him not to, as it is all she has left of her mother. He accepts a kiss in exchange for the necklace. "A fair trade, m'lady," he tells her afterward, before disappearing.

A year later, with a forged letter of marque, Annalisa is intent on hunting down the wretched James Sterling and reclaiming her father's treasure from him. But now she's in danger of of him stealing something far more valuable this time: her heart. (Summary from the back of the book - picture from Amazon.com)
My Review: I have to confess that I'm always a little embarrassed when I post these. I just need to get over it and admit that I like romance--DO YOU HEAR ME--and the YA variety usually manages to get it right and still allow me to recommend it to my mother afterwards. To Catch a Pirate is not earth-shattering, and is fairly predictable, but it delivered exactly what I expected from it. It's what I would call a "cake" book. Sweet, yummy, and it doesn't take to long to finish. There were moments when it leaned a little closer to "cheesecake" than anything, but it was still a cute, clean romance with fairly basic writing and a happily-ever-after ending.

My Rating: 3 Stars. A YA a reader might give this more, but I couldn't. It was fun, but not special. This book was completely PG - perfect for a young adult reader who wants a little romance with out all the...erm...extras.

Sum it up in one phrase: A slice of cheesecake. Yummy, but with little to no nutritional value.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails