Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sophie's Favorite Children's Books

This book list comes courtesy of Sophie Oja, a fabulous little girl I happen know (and love dearly). Since today is her birthday, I'm posting this in honor of her fiery little four-year-old spirit. I held up all our books and let her tell me if they went in the "favorites" stack or not. Then, after she went to bed I removed all the cheesy ones with Disney princesses on the cover (there were at least ten) and all the books I know she selected based solely on the cover (having never read them to her before). Here is what was left:


Sophie's Favorite Children's Books
Animal Families - DK Publishing
Are You Quite Polite? (silly dilly manners songs) - Alan Katz
The Bear's Toothache - David McPhail
The Biggest Sandwich Ever** - Rita Golden Gelman
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin, Jr.
Curious George Goes Camping - Margret & H.A. Rey's
Dinosaur Roar** - Paul & Henrietta Stickland
Eight Animals on the Town** - Susan Middleton Elya
Gigi : God's Little Princess - Sheila Walsh
Going to Sleep on the Farm** - Wendy Cheyette Lewison
Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Suess
The Gruffalo** - Julia Donaldson
Horton Hatches the Egg - Dr. Suess
How The Grinch Stole Christmas! - Dr. Suess
I Love You, Stinky Face** - Lisa McCourt
If You Give a Pig a Pancake** - Laura Numeroff
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat** - Simms Taback
Lissy's Friends** - Grace Lin
Llama Llama Red Pajama** - Anna Dewdney
A Mud Pie for Mother - Scott Beck
My Body Series - Sally Hewitt
My Lucky Day - Keiko Kasza
My Two Hands, My Two Feet**- Rick Walton
Naughty Little Monkeys** - Jim Aylesworth
Noah's Ark - Laurence T. Lorimer
Officer Buckle and Gloria** - Peggy Rathman
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish** - Dr. Suess
Parts - Tedd Arnold
The Paper Bag Princess - Robert Munsch
Pinkalicious** - Victoria Kann & Elizabeth Kahn
Popcorn - Frank Asch
The Rainbow Fish - Marcus Pfister
Raindrop, PLOP!** - Wendy Cheyette Lewison
Skippyjon Jones - Judy Schachner
Snowmen at Christmas - Caralyn Buehner
Snowmen at Night** - Caralyn Buehner
Somewhere in the Ocean - Jennifer Ward
Take Me Out of the Bathtub and other silly dilly songs** - Alan Katz
There's a Nightmare in my Closet - Mercer Mayer
Tinkerbell: A Guide to Pixie Hollow** - Elle D. Risco
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs - Jon Scieszka
The Velveteen Rabbit (adapted for young readers) - Margery Williams
When Sophie Gets Angry-Really, Really Angry... - Molly Bang
Where Did They Hide My Presents (silly dilly Christmas Songs) - Alan Katz
Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak
Where's Waldo - Martin Handford
Won't You Be My Kissaroo? - Joanne Ryder
Zinnia's Flower Garden - Monica Wellington

**Books we've read so much that we've both got them memorized.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Thanks for posting this! I have a four-year-old, and I'm always looking for good book recommendations! I'm surprised how few of those we have read. My daughter really likes some by Gerald McDermott, such as Papagayo or Anansi the Spider.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails