Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dear Lilly - Peter Greyson

Summary: Life rules for adolescent girls.

A father offers his advice, opinions, and the many useful stories gleaned from his past experiences in order to help his beloved daughter not only survive, but thrive in the dangerous and unpredictable world of young adulthood.

From the pen of a former abused child, drug addict, womanizing frat boy, and suicidal depressive, comes forth the emotionally stirring account of a young man's battle with crippling inner demons and his eventual road to enlightenment. Peter Greyson calls upon his wisdom as both father and school teacher to gently lead teenage girls through a maze of truth, deception, and adolescent uncertainty. Greyson's literary style sparkles with a youthful enthusiasm that will capture your heart and provide boundless inspiration.

Dear Lilly is a survival guide that offers the brutally honest male perspective to young woment struggling for answers to life's deepest questions. Topics include:
  • Boys lie
  • What every guy wants from his girlfriend
  • Tales from the drug world
  • Everybody hurts
  • High school exposed
(image from dearlilly.net and summary from back of the book)

My Review: This book was given to me for review. (Free books rock!) Brutally honest, as it states in the summary, is accurate. The first couple chapters left me feeling hollow inside, it was that sad and full of heartbreak. It seemed almost too much to believe that someone had lived through so many horrible experiences and come out practically no worse for wear. He really has lived through, what I hope to believe, more than the average adult life.

There are aspects that while reading I had arguments with the author inside my head. Some of those included the recommendations about dairy intake--especially for women who need lots of calcium and dairy consumption is the best source--and that it is so rare for a male to be able to control himself during his teen years sexually. Maybe he is right on the last one. I'm obviously not male and cannot make a statement either way. But it seemed not only to demean the male gender, but also to almost make an excuse for such base behavior. Be that as it may, I do believe that many of his statements stand for many males, especially during their teen years.

Aspects to the book that I liked: he really is brutally honest and fairly objective in his expectations for his own daughter. (I know. I practically contradict myself here, but in some ways this is great and in others it's too much.) I liked that he shared just how much it terrified him to know his daughter could date someone like he was as a teenager. (What could be more honest than that?) I liked that he supported healthy lifestyles and healthy eating--although, again, it seems he might be more extreme than I would push things. I liked how he ended the book on a good note. Those last chapters definitely make up for the downer first chapters. I almost didn't make it through the book because the first chapters were so depressing. He really did try to share all parts of his personality and threw in pieces of information on his wife as well.

One last note: he swears a lot, uses a lot of slang, and mentions all topics--NOTHING is off limits in his guidebook for a girl's life. I wouldn't hand this to my teenage child unless they are already familiar with a sailors vocabulary. As a teacher I realize this isn't something shocking for most families. As a parent with different standards, I feel it is important to share this tid bit.

Rating: 3 stars

Sum it up: A thorough look at all the mistakes one can make in life and counsel to avoid them.

3 comments:

Natalie W said...

This would be something I would be interested in. Adding to my wish list!
Natalie

Sweet Em said...

Hum...I wonder how interested a teenage girl would be in reading a non-related adult male's book/perspective?

Kari said...

You know, good question. I seriously don't know how interested a teen-female would be if it wasn't her father writing to her. But, it could also be a parent's guide for what all your kids could get into. That is valuable in itself, especially if you weren't the rebellious type.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails