Friday, April 9, 2010

Kitten's First Full Moon - Kevin Henkes

Summary: What a night! The moon is full. Kitten is hungry and inquisitive and brave and fast and persistent and unlucky... then lucky! (Summary from Powells.com and image from freemontlibrary.wordpress.com)

My Review: I have to admit that the first time I read this book I wasn't all that impressed. After many readings I started to see the sweet simplicity of how a child views the world. My daughter was taken with this book after only one reading. I'm not totally sure what grabbed her most. It could have been the simple pictures--black, white, gray are the only colors used which I believe help focus on the kitten and the moon. It could have been the simple way the kitten learns about her surroundings and how she applies her prior knowledge both correctly and incorrectly. It also could have been because it's a story of never giving up and trying again despite disappointment. I'm not totally sure. What I do know is it has a good message about perserverence and speaks to young children in a way that I don't always see books do upon first readings.

Rating: 4.5 stars--I didn't give it 5 stars because it didn't call to me initially.

Sum it up: A sweet, little story about a kitten learning about her world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails