Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Summer in Paris - Michele Ashman Bell

*Review by Chris*

Summary: Kenzie Williams has it all: wealth, friends, popularity, talent. But when her father declares bankruptcy, her whole New York City would turns upside down. Her parents’ solution, while they sort through their problems, is to send Kenzie to live out the summer with her relatives in Paris. . .Idaho!

Feeling like she’s been sentenced to three months in Hickville Prison, Kenzie arrives in Idaho feeling like a square peg with name-brand clothes, crammed into a round, horribly podunk hole.

Leaving everything she loves behind, Kenzie is forced to get up at the crack of dawn, do chores, and hang out with her cousin’s loser friends. She feels like she’s about to die . . .until she meets Adam White, the town outcast, who has been accused of killing his best friend and is being blamed for some trouble that’s been happening around town. Not only is Adam the best-looking guy she’s ever met, he’s also the most fascinating, and Kenzie is determined to get to know him better and discover his secret.

But, the longer she stays in Idaho, the more she realized, Adam isn’t the only one keeping secrets in Paris. (Summary from book - Image from amazon.com)

My review: I received this book to review from Valor Publishing. My first impression was that I didn’t like the cover, it looked kind of boring. I guess that was the whole idea. When Kenzie first arrived in Paris, Idaho she couldn’t believe she was going to be spending the entire summer with a bunch of “hicks”---b-o-r-i-n-g. She learned, like I have learned many times, that “you can’t judge a book by its’ cover.” Summer in Paris was a good, clean, uncomplicated young adult book. It actually took me back (a long way back) to my high school days and some of the feelings I had then—trying to fit in and feel important without sacrificing what I knew was right. Topics such as split families (divorce, separation), financial problems, teen drinking and vandalism were all covered while still keeping the book fun and easy to read.

While Summer in Paris was not one of the most amazingly exciting books I have ever read, it was still a good book with a strong moral message where good triumphs over evil in the end.

My rating: 3.75 stars

Sum it up: You can make good come out of what looks like a bad situation.

2 comments:

Michele Ashman Bell said...

Mindy,
Thank you for taking time to review "Summer in Paris." I appreciated your thoughts and opinion. I'm all about happy endings too!
Best wishes!
Michele

MindySue said...

Thanks! But I didn't review it. Chris did. She just has me post her reviews for her. The only way you can tell is that is says *Chris's Reviews at bottom.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails