Monday, May 10, 2010

Evermore - Alyson Noel

Summary: The first book in Alyson Noel's extraordinary new Immortals series. Enter an enchanting new world, where true love never dies...After a horrible accident claims the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someones entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact and suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school--but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste.

Damen is gorgeous, exotic, and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head--wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is--or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him. (Photo from www.alysonnoel.com - Summary from back cover)

My Review: Before I begin my review I would like to apologize for my extended absence. I had what can only be described as severe reviewers block. It's the truth, seriously. I truly harrowing experience.

Back to Evermore..

Ever Bloom is cursed, or so she thinks. When a tragic accident claims the lives of not only her parents, but her younger sister and golden retriever, Ever wakes up to discover she can hear peoples thoughts. In a high school full of preppy cheerleaders and jocks who have branded her a "freak", she chooses to bed down with a hoodie and a blaring ipod to survive her days. On her return to her Aunt's house, with whom she was placed after the accident, she spends afternoons talking to her dead sister and immersing herself in blame for her family's death.

Isolating herself with her only two friends (a Gothic wanna be and a homosexual thespian), Ever's world is turned upside down when Damen walks into her art class and for the first time the thoughts swirling around in her head are quieted.

The story is typical, especially in the wake of the Twilight rage, but Evermore stands on it's own. Noel dares to take us where Meyer did not. Exploring the world of teenage sexuality and the pressure that these "freaks" are put under each day at the hands of fellow classmates. Not to mention a bout of severe alcohol abuse, and teenage tattooing.

As Ever and Damen continue on their journey they encounter obstacles that are (quite literally) not of this world. I found myself slightly enchanted by the world the the author created. I sympathized with Ever and her situation at school. But mostly (I am only slightly embarrassed to say), Evermore gave me that zing. That first kiss, butterflies in your stomach feeling that you get when your are indulging yourself in a teenage romance novel. Come on, you and I both know there was a time before kids and husbands where just a look from a cute boy set our hearts to pounding. It is a fun feeling and I believe that is why these books are such a popular genre.

Sidenote: Although these novels received some criticism for there similarities to the Twilight series, I am going to go ahead and say what I have been thinking which is that yes the similar plot line is there, but in my opinion Noel showcases more writing talent with her first two novels in her Immortal series. It is strictly my OPINION, please don't bombard me with hate mail......)

My Rating: 4 Stars. I would say this novel is appropriate for 14 plus years of age.

Sum it up: A good guilty pleasure.

Also reviewed by Mindy.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I've heard not so great reviews about this book and I hate how people compare other books to "the next Twilight" (even though I am/was a Twilight fan). This has been in my TBR pile for a few years now lol, maybe I should pull it out and give it a try. My sister in law has been begging me to read it already lol!

MindySue said...

I think this just goes to show that people can have dramatically different opinions in regards to books. Kim really liked it. I really didn't. Let us know which side of the fence you fall on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails