Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You - Ally Carter

Summary: Cammie Morgan is a student at Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, a fairly typical all-girls school--typical, that is if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses, but it's really a school for spies.

Even though Cammie is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man seven different ways with her bare hands, she has no idea what to do when she meets an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl.

Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, or track him through town with the skill of a real "pavement artist"--but can she maneuver a relationship with someone who can never know the truth about her? (Summary from book - Image from http://www.allycarter.com/ - Book from personal library)

My Review: I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You is, like, totally written from the viewpoint of a teenage girl – complete with chick fights, crushes, sarcasm, and hundreds of parenthetical interruptions (to illustrate the complexities of teenage thought). In spite of all that, and a little because of it, I really enjoyed myself.

I thought this book was a quick, but fantastic YA read. At no point did I feel the urge to stab a pencil in my eye(or that of a character), as is the case with most books that in any way resemble those Gossip Girl books. I credit the character’s wit and hysterical inner dialogue for making the book so much fun. I was constantly snickering and reading sections aloud to my husband that I thought were hilarious*.

After all, what normal girl has to learn the fine art of embroidery, but still dodge an actual minefield in order to sneak off school grounds. And if, say, she wants to rummage through a guy’s garbage, break into his home, and put a tracker in his shoe, well that’s her business, right?

Why, oh why, didn’t I find this book about 15 years ago when I could have fantasized that my boring old high school was instead a clandestine spy academy, training me to silently incapacitate an enemy and decode encrypted satellite transmissions? Okay, so it wasn’t written yet, but it would have made PE and Keyboarding way more fun. If you’re in the mood for a quick, somewhat juvenile, but still enjoyable read, pick this one up. And if you find that one just isn’t enough, do a little dance, because this book is part of a series! I’ll be moving on to Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy, Don’t Judge a Girl by her Cover, Only the Good Spy Young, and Out of Sight, Out of Time as soon as I can get them from the library.

*I’m sure he loved that.

My Rating: 4.25 Stars For the sensitive reader: Fling this at your daughter’s head all willy-nilly -- that’s the only way it could possibly hurt her. Seriously. That and, possibly, paper cuts.

Sum it up: Cute, fun, and very appropriate. I could see this book being a real hit with the 10 to 16 age group—at least the ones who aren’t currently obsessed with vampires. It might even find an audience with those who are…ahem…a little older.

4 comments:

Mariam Maarouf said...

Ooo...sounds like a great read :)

CarrieM said...

Just finished this, and thought it was great and original.

treen said...

I'm anti-YA lit right now for my book group (I go to book group to get AWAY from my children and read my own books, not to read stuff targeted for them) but this one sounds pretty fun! I might have to give it a shot!

Jodi said...

I totally agree with your review! I read this book (and the sequel) several months ago and really loved them! So clever and fun! Thanks for the great review!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails