Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid : The Ugly Truth - Jeff Kinney

Summary:  Greg Heffley has always been in a hurry to grow up.  But is getting older really all it's cracked up to be?  Greg suddenly finds himself dealing with the pressures of boy-girl parties, increased responsibilities, and even the awkward changes that come with getting older--all without his best friend, Rowley, at his side.  Can Greg make it through on his own?  Or will he have to face the "ugly truth"?  (Summary from back of the book and image from http://sandboxworld.com/)

My Review:  Note:  This is the fifth in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.  If you aren't familiar with the series, you  might want to go back to the first review and start there.  There is a continuous story for Greg and you watch him evolve through the books.

Talk about a fast read! This book only took me 2 1/2 hours to finish--and that was around telling kids to be quiet while they were supposed to be silently reading. While it wasn't the funniest book I've ever read, I did laugh out loud five separate times, and yes, I counted. It contains the same Kinney humor--Greg's obliviousness to his own selfishness is supposed to be funny and the mix of awkward middle school social experiences. You get watch his illogical mind at work as he tries to contrive every situation to his favor.  Alas,  Greg's not a very accomplished manipulator, nor does he have the foresight to prevent some of his mishaps, which can be quite painful. It's not my typical humor, but I'm glad to say I've read it because now I know what the kids rave about. 

Just to give readers here at Reading For Sanity an idea of how popular the Wimpy Kid series is:  For my classroom I'd bought the entire first four books in May of last year.  Two books were swiped before June even arrived.  I started this year with only two books (I'm aware you can do the math, but I'm just being clear).  They were my most fought over books with male students.  This year I bought another set including the fifth book.  The minute I got them out of the Scholastic box I had boys, who normally don't like reading, clamoring over each other to check out the fifth book and take it home.  They were quite disappointed when I told them I got to read it first.  Good thing it only took me 2 1/2 hours to read.  It's already checked out.

My Rating: 3.25 Stars

Sum it up:  Continuing the painful, and sometimes funny, saga of Greg Heffley's middle school experience.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails