Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

Summary:   A sacred oath.
A fallen angle.
A forbidden love.

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan.  She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her.  Not until Patch comes along.  With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust.  Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends.  She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide.  And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen--and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life. (Summary from jacket cover and image from http://1.bp.blogspot.com/)

My Review: If I were to compare this book to something you'd eat, it would be the perfect midnight snack.  I read it that quickly and enjoyed every bite, which surprised me because I typically can't sink my teeth into suspense or scary of any nature.  Hush, Hush might have changed my mind.  I can't profess that it's all that literary, or that the overall message is a perfectly clean one for young adult readers, but it sucks you in and takes you for a wild ride.

Nora is so easy to relate to, which makes her predicament shockingly believable--and it shouldn't be.  Despite the warning flags that went off in my mind, you couldn't quite guess which warning flag was the right one.  All the way until the end of the book you're wondering who is the really bad guy, or if they all are and Nora's trapped in an inescapable trap.  I even began wondering if her best friend Vee was in on Nora's demise.

I think what also makes this book fun is how it vicariously allows the reader to indulge in going for the bad guy, something I'd never do in real life because who knows what kind of trouble it could bring.  The book is probably the safest way to enjoy that little experience without getting too close.  My only concern would be for young adult females who, I worry, would think that the bad boys in real life could be as benign as the ending of this book makes him out to be.

I can't help but want my friends to read this book, whether it has any significant literary value or not.  I'd just want to see how they enjoyed the crazy trip.

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Sum it up: Thrilling, often heart-pounding, suspenseful -- a fantastic and indulgent YA read.

Also reviewed by Mindy.

4 comments:

Lady Scribbles said...

I just read this book last week, and this is a great review. Like you I was also shocked at how much I enjoyed it. Only I'm more shocked 'cause I thought it was gonna be a super mushy romance novel: Twilight a la mode.

Tribute Books said...

I've been seeing "Hush, Hush" promoted on a lot of blogs and Twitter feeds and it peaked my interest to check it out of the local library. I have to say I was disappointed in it, but maybe it's just me.

Cheri Chesley said...

Sounds like a fun read!

Monica said...

Dang - I REALLY wanted to like it... but just didn't. Maybe I had expectations. I also didn't like all the sexual innuendos - a bit much for the audience. But you're right - it does suck you in, which is a sign of a good book. But a bit disappointing to me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails