Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Monster at the End of this Book - Jon Stone

Summary:  Many, many adults name this book as their favorite Little Golden Book. Generations of kids have interacted with lovable, furry old Grover as he begs the reader not to turn the page for fear of a monster at the end of the book. "Oh, I am so embarrassed," he says on the last page...for, of course, the monster is Grover himself!  (Summary from Toysrus.com and image from vanpartible.com)

My Review:  If your 18 month old sits through actual books with words, and not just one or two words per page, then I bow down to you and your genius baby.  Mine does not, and will not.  That is, except when it comes to this book.  The moment she sees me sit down with my older daughter and crack the cover, she comes running.  She absolutely LOVES this book and lovable, furry, old Grover.  How pleasantly surprised I was!

We received this book from my parents for Christmas.  I had given them a list of children's books we didn't own, but wanted, and this was one of them.  I remembered reading this book as a child and loved it.  There's something so endearing and sweet about Grover, his honest fear of monsters, and his relate-able embarrassment at the end of the book.  As for my 4 year old, she loves the overall story and my 18 month old loves Grover's outbursts--they are oh-so-fun to exaggerate while reading aloud.  The way the book is written it feels as if you're interacting with Grover as you turn each page.  I sometimes throw in a question to my girls before I turn a page, "Should we turn the page?"  To which they always reply with a giddy, "YES!"  I haven't tired of reading the book, which often happens with repeated readings.  That, in my mind, is a good sign.

If you haven't heard of this book and need to shake up your children's reading routine, pick up this book.

Here's a special treat.  If you click on this link, it takes you to an online, complete version of the book with illustrations.  Now you can decide for yourself if it's worth the money.  You're welcome.

Rating:  5 Stars.

Sum it up:  Engaging and fun, one of my favorite Children's books.

3 comments:

Sweet Em said...

I too love this book. It is so clever and funny. However - resist the urge to get the "sequel". "Another Monster at the End of this Book" is pretty much the same plot with Elmo trying to get Grover to turn the pages...but I think that Elmo is naughty and disobedient. Definitely stick with the original!

T said...

I've read this one to my kids twice this week... it's an old family favorite - a perfect read-aloud.

The one with Elmo... yeah, just not the same... but I actually do own it, and it was helpful in teaching my daughter to read out loud (with emotion) as I would tell her I would read Grover but she had to be Elmo...

MindySue said...

I just let my daughter read this book (via the link) and she thought it was hysterical!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails