Monday, February 7, 2011

Prophecy of the Sisters - Michelle Zink

Summary:  An ancient prophecy divides two sisters--one good...one evil...who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthrope have just become orphans.  They have also become enemies.  As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, they find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.  They just know they can't trust each other.  (Summary from back of the book and image from theslowestbookworm.blogspot.com)


My Review: I really wanted to like this book--the cover is quite eye catching, and it came to me highly recommended.  Alas, it was slow paced, so dark and sinister that it repulsed me, and ended unresolved.  I know there's a second book, but I truly don't want to read it.  I'd like to get the cliff notes to satiate my curiosity, but I don't want to waste another week of reading time to figure out how it all plays out. 

Much of this book is spent trying to figure out what is wrong with Lia and Alice. And once you do understand what is going on; you spend the rest of the book trying to figure out how to stop this craziness.

The writing was more sophisticated than typical YA books, which was nice.  And the atmosphere in the book reminds me a bit of Jane Eyre.  Where it didn't measure up was the contrasting feelings of overall goodness.  Maybe I'm jumping the gun on this judgment, for I'm fairly certain the next book will (hopefully) address some of these issues by answering how Lia will try and make everything right again.  Will I pick up the sequel?  I'm not sure.  Not for a while at least.


Rating:  2.75 Stars

Sum it up: Disturbing and dark, slow paced and sullen, this book evokes a sinister feel that you can't shake.

3 comments:

Lady Scribbles said...

I felt the same way about it. Great review.

The Slowest Bookworm said...

Oh dear, I hope I enjoy this book more than you and Lady Scribbles!

Tribute Books Mama said...

Thanks for the great review, but this book is not for me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails