Saturday, April 23, 2011

Book of Ages: 30 - Joshua Albertson, Lockhart Steele, Jonathan Van Gieson

Summary:  Welcome to your thirties.  Are you rich, poor, single, married, divorced, straight, gay, crazy in love, happy, in good health, insured, employed, in school, falling apart?  On the brink of fame, like Ford, Emeril, Napoleon, Nonan, Couric?  Do you have problems, dreams, house, job, money, kids, car, gun?  Do you exude sex like Clooney, Berry, Stallone, Madonna, Elvis, Cher?  Feeling promiscuous, monogamous, dumped, living in sin, virginal, pregnant?  What's next?  Layoff, promotion, power, new career, wedding, debt, divorce, degree, death?  Are you in danger like Welles, Plath,Alexander Ringwald, Murphy?  Struggling like Bush, Tan, Gandolfini, Kafka, Rowling, Mr. T?  How do you stack up?  Are you a visionary like Oprah, Bono, Gates, Edison, Franklin, Eminem?  Will you change the world like Shakespeare, Mandela, Mao, Lennon, Gorbachev, Kennedy?  31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39...What's Next?  (Image from https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/ and summary from back of the book.)

My Review:  Yes, I am thirty.  I'm actually fine with that number, but I was given a book to remind me that time is ticking and maybe to shame me into being more aware of how I'm using my time.  This little coffee table book is set up visually appealing with black letters on white pages with red thrown in for emphasis and lots of fun pictures. Easy and fast to read is an understatement.  Whether the information in the book is really all that important is debatable.  Much of what you learn is about famous people and what they were doing at that the age of thirty.  Sometimes this was interesting, sometimes it was worthless.  When you spend your time comparing yourself to people that are such a small percentage of the population it can never be realistic.  I'm afraid some readers might be discouraged after learning all these minute details.

The other aspect to the book I wasn't so thrilled about was how much emphasis was put on a person's sex life and how much money he or she makes.  As if those are the greatest indicator of how happy you truly are at the age of thirty.   Maybe that's a representation of the authors?  Or is that really what Americans really care about?  I'd wager it isn't, but I could be wrong.

If you're not taking it too seriously and enjoy frivolous facts, feel free to pick up this book.  Otherwise, it's more or less forgettable.

Rating:  2.5 stars

Sum it up:  Random facts about anonymous people and famous people alike while they lived the years called their thirties.

1 comment:

Reading Has Purpose said...

This is a book that I would've picked up and thumbed through. Now I won't bother. "How Do You Stack Up?" kind of rubs me the wrong way. I agree that comparing yourself to others is almost always a bad idea. Especially comparing yourself to these people.

Nice review.

-Shannon

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails