Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Corinthian - Georgette Heyer

Summary:  Penelope Creed will do anything to avoid marrying her repulsive cousin.  Dressed in boy's clothing, she's fleeing from London when she's discovered by Sir Richard Wyndham, himself on the verge of the most momentous decision of his life. 

When Sir Richard encounters the lovely young fugitive, he knows he can't allow her to travel to the countryside all alone, so he offers himself as her protector.  As it happens, at that very moment Sir Richard could use an escape of his own...  (Summary from book - Image from sourcebooks.com)

My Review:  Someone – I can’t remember who – raved about Georgette Heyer’s regency romance novels and how similar they were to Jane Austen novels. On that recommendation, I decided to try The Corinthian. Now, I wish I could remember who it was so that I could smack them upside the head with this book. Okay, perhaps it wasn’t that bad, but it wasn’t that good either.

The beginning and end of this book were tolerable, I suppose, but not entertaining enough to make up for the tedium that fell in between (and yes, I'm blatantly ripping off Austen). While Heyer's particular brand of mad cap humor was amusing, her writing was dialog heavy and concerned primarily with circumstance rather than character depth or setting. Perhaps, if there had been an inkling of romantic tension between the two main characters, I might have stayed interested, but the story focused on their various escapades, with little regard for genuine emotional development. The "romance" only appeared when the characters admitted their feelings in the last 50 pages and, even then, it was lukewarm and hardly worth 261 pages of chatter.

Overall, I am entirely underwhelmed by this book. While it does adopt the setting, language, and customs of many Austen novels, it falls far short of the mark.  The Corinthian's best quality is its humor, but humor alone isn't enough to tempt me (to pick up another).  Oh there I go again...

Click here to read an excerpt of The Corinthian.

My Rating: 2.75 Stars

For the sensitive reader: As long as you are familiar with the old-fashioned definition of the word “ejaculated,” you should be fine. Otherwise, this book takes on an entirely different and exceptionally disturbing tone.

Sum it up: An occasionally amusing, frequently tedious, entirely unromantic romance.

3 comments:

Sally T. said...

THANK YOU! I'm so TIRED of the Heyer fans comparing her to Austin! I've tried and tried to get in to her, but she's so bland!

MindySue said...

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to have someone agree with my reviews. I'm always afraid I'll be the only one! Thanks for the validation!

parenting articles said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails