Friday, July 29, 2011

Blank Slate - Heather Justesen

Summary:  Adrianna Mueller may be a world-renowned concert pianist, but when she wakes from a coma after a serious car accident, her ability to perform has disappeared as completely as her memories.  As she recovers from her injuries, she struggles with the expectations of her family, friends, and fiance, Brock-who all want everything to go back to the way it was.

Everyone except Gavin, her brother's business partner, who finds himself drawn to the woman she is now.  But he has his own problems.  As he tries to recover from a former employee's embezzelement, he fights his growing feelings for Adrianna.

And then a trip to the emergency room shakes everything up, leaving her to stumble as she tries to regain her footing all over again.  (Summary from back of the book and image from  http://heatherjustesen.blogspot.com/.  Book given free for review.)

My Review:  I was pleasantly surprised by Blank Slate.  This is the second book I've accepted for review since the end of the school year, at which time I had almost completely sworn off reviewing books by proposition.  The premise caught my attention and I thought it would be a fun, light read.  It was and I'm glad I accepted it.  I haven't read anything like it before which added to the enjoyment.

There are twists, but I'm afraid I have to say that I saw the main one coming.  Like I've mentioned before, maybe it was my years of watching Miss Marple with my dad or other mysteries on OPB.  Regardless, it was still fun to see if my predictions were correct.  What I wasn't expecting were the layers of conflict Justesen weaved in to make the situation realistic.  I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to wake up and have people expect you to be a world-renowned concert pianist when you look at music and can't even read the notes.  Not recognizing anyone who is supposed to be your family would be devastating as well.  Combine all that with the twists at the end, and it would be enough to stress out the most centered person.  I don't dare write more.  Part of the fun of this book is reading it without any knowledge beforehand and letting the author take you on an event-packed ride.

To learn more, you can visit the author’s blog or her website

If you'd like to purchase Blank Slate, you can choose from either a print copy, the Kindle version, or the Smashwords version.


My Rating: 3.75 stars

Sum it up:  A story that twists just enough to keep you guessing and real enough to make you pray it never happens to you.

1 comment:

FreeEbooksHere.com said...

Thanks for the review of this book. It's hard to find the time to do as much reading as I'd like...so your reviews are so helpful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails