Friday, July 1, 2011

The Pioneer Woman : From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels ( A Love Story) - Ree Drummond

Summary:  I'll never forget that night.  It was like a romance novel, an old Broadway musical, and a John Wayne western rolled into one.  Out for a quick drink with friends, I wasn't looking to meet anyone, let alone a tall, rugged cowboy who lived on a cattle ranch miles away from my cultured, corporate hometown.  But before I knew it, I'd been struck with a lightning bolt...and I was completely powerless to stop it. 

Read along as I recount the rip-roaring details of my unlikely romance with a chaps-wearing cowboy, from the early days of our courtship (complete with cows, horses, prairie fire, and passion) all the way through the first year of our marriage, which would be filled with more challenge and strive -- and manure -- than I ever could have expected.

This isn't just my love story; it's a universal tale of passion, romance, and all-encompassing love that sweeps us off our feet.  It's the story of a cowboy.  And Wranglers.  And chaps.  And the girl who fell in love with them.  (Summary from book - Image from goodreads.com )

My Review:   Have you ever hung around someone who recently a) fell in love b) became engaged c) got married or d) all of the above, and all they can talk about is absolute and utter amazing-ness of their significant other? It’s thrilling at first (you’re living vicariously, of course), then after a while it’s just cute (like a sweet little puppy), but eventually it’s pretty darn annoying (like a puppy that keeps peeing in your shoe). That is how I felt when I began reading this book. At first, I was grinning like an idiot, soaking up the romance and loving every inch of it. It was like getting to experience the rush of first love all over again, with leading man who was obviously God’s gift to women.  Unfortunately, after a bit I started to notice that the author could not stop singing her man’s praises. Seriously.  Most paragraphs were odes to (insert feature here).  His muscles. His eyes. His voice. His wranglers. How perfect he was in every living way. It was clear that she was smitten, and I couldn’t really blame her, but all that smit got old. Fast.

Thankfully, about mid-way through part two, the 24-hour love fest started to slow. For one reason or another, reality hit the young couple like a ton of bricks, and I finally got a glimpse of the real story – one where the author deals with unexpected illness, doubts, the perils of a new relationship, and her own inner demons. The third part of this book was definitely my favorite. It moved past infatuation and towards a deeper kind of love – the kind based on shared experience, understanding, and the occasional bout of incurable lust. For what it’s worth, and despite all the guy-worship, this book was entertaining and ended well. If you make it past the gushing, you’ll find a charming love story. I’m glad that I read it at least once, even if it did pee in my shoe a few times.

Sidenote: The Pioneer Woman: From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels was originally (at least in part) a series of posts on the popular blog The Pioneer Woman where Ree Drummond talks about pretty much everything…cooking, country life, homeschooling, etc. This book also includes recipes of many of the meals that Ree prepared for her husband during their first years of marriage.

My Rating:  3.5 Stars

For the sensitive reader:  Minimal swearing (mostly biblical).  This couple actually waited until after they were married before they became intimate, so while there was a massive amount of making out, things didn't hit the bedroom till after they were married and, once there, never elaborated.
 
Sum it up:  A double-edged love story and good one time read.

1 comment:

Melissa Mc (Gerbera Daisy Diaries) said...

I bought a copy of this because Ree was going to be at our Literary festival and I wanted it signed!! It's a beautiful book, and her signature is flurishy as you would expect...but honestly, I'm not sure I will EVER read it! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails