Monday, August 15, 2011

Stuart Little - E.B. White

This review comes from two of the most adorable readers and their mother (that's me, Mindy).  Kaisa and Sophie aren't quite ready to write full reviews on their own, so we did a little Q & A instead.

Summary:  Stuart Little is no ordinary mouse.  Born to a family of humans, he lives in New York City with his parents, his older brother George, and Snowbell the cat.  Though he's shy and thoughtful, he's also a true lover of adventure. 

Stuart's greatest adventure comes when his best friend, a beautiful little bird named Margalo, disappears from her next.  Determined to track her down, Stuart ventures away from home for a very first time in his life.  He finds adventure aplenty.  But will he find his friend?  (Summary from book - Image from www.fantasticfiction.co.uk)

Q & A with Kaisa, age seven:

What did you think about this book?
At the beginning it was kind of fun. I liked Margalo escaped from the cat and how Stuart went down the bathtub drain. It’s kind of sad at the ending because Stuart doesn’t find the bird.

What did you like about Stuart Little, the mouse.
I think mouses are cute, so I like mouses.

What do you think it would be like to be a mouse in a house full of humans?
I think it would be cool because you don’t have to deal with other mouses.

What was your favorite part of the book?
How the doctor showed him the invisible car and the car ran all over the room and got crunched.

Would you recommend this book to other kids?
Um. It depends on how old they are.

If they were your age(seven)?
Well, a teeny bit younger than me because there are pictures but not on every page.

Did you like the illustrations?
Yeah, I like black and white pictures instead of colored, but not on movies.

If you could change one thing about this book, what would you change?
I would make it a teeny bit longer so that he could find Margalo, the bird.

Which E.B. White book do you like better, Stuart Little or Charlotte’s Web?
Stuart Little because Charlotte’s Web is boring.

My five-year-old, Sophie, didn't want to be left out, but clammed up halfway through her Q &a A:

How did you feel about this book?
A little happy a little sad.

Did you like the book?
A little and a little not.

What did you like about it?
I don’t remember.

What didn’t you like about it?
I didn’t like when the bird had to go away. That’s all I have to say.

My Review:  E.B. White's Charlotte's Web is one of my favorite children's books, so I really expected something spectacular when I opened Stuart Little.  Unfortunately, I didn't get it, and I'm left wondering why people rave about this book.  Yes, Stuart is small and mousey, but that doesn't equate to a super-duper interesting storyline. Each chapter felt like another in a series of dull, disconnected mini-adventures that never led anywhere.  The plot only became (mildly) focused when Stuart decided to search for his feathered friend, Margalo.  While he's on the road he meets a variety of (un)interesting friends, but the story ends before he finds Margalo.  My girls were devastated and it ruined their view of the book.  My only hope is to shuffle them along to the next book and hope they forget.
 
My Rating: 2.75 Stars
 
Sum it up:  A disappointing and unfinished book.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails