Saturday, August 13, 2011

Torment - Lauren Kate

Read our reviews of the first book, Fallen, here and here.

Summary:  Hell on earth.

That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.

It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away.  Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts--immortals who want to kill Luce.  Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the off-spring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives.  Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects Daniel hasn't told her everything.  He's hiding something--something dangerous.

What is Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true?  What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series...where love never dies.  (Summary from book jacket and image from http://laurenkatebooks.net/)

My Review:  My biggest gripe about this book is that it's confusing and choppy.  I believe some of the confusion and choppiness was intentional, making the book seem confusing because Luce is confused and left in the dark.  Sometimes I'd have to stop and reread sections to make sure I didn't miss something.  I didn't, it was simply unclear.  For me, it was to the point of annoying and frustrating.  If I didn't want to know the outcome I would have put the book down because honestly, 450 pages is a long time to wait to find out you're not getting any real answers but will have to wait for Passion before understanding even a fraction of what is really going on.

Another aspect that bothered me was how Luce's character seemed to change.  In the first book she was a good-girl-who-follows-the-rules.  This book she pushed every envelope given to her.  She was still essentially a good girl, but the way she seemed so dumb in regards to her own safety after so many warnings was irritating. 

The relationship was hardly developed between Luce and Daniel in the first book, so I didn't mourn the lack of his character's involvement in this book.  Their passion-filled scenes didn't do it for me either.  They just felt shallow and fake.  While Kate introduced more fun characters to spice up the new school, I can't help but feel some of the characters were repeats of the characters in the first book just named differently.

Overall, I still liked the book because Kate has some crazy ideas mixed with angels and demons (the Shadows or Announcers are a fascinating idea to explore and I hope she does more in Passion).  Kate also touched on the gray line between what is good vs. what is evil with the demons and the angels (this could be a great conflict/resolution plot point for Passion).  She also plants the idea of 'he who wins gets to write history', how that can be skewed according to who won.   I just wish we got more of the lore or history and less of the "Luce is just so in the dark and therefore so are we" theme.  Will I be reading the third book?  Yes.  But mostly because I do want some answers.

My Rating: 3.5 Stars

For the sensitive reader:  Fairly regular swearing, although mostly biblical. 

Sum it up:  Felt like the waiting game before you actually get answers in the third book.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails