Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hallowed - Cynthia Hand

Summary: For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day.  And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she though.

Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation:  Someone she loves will die in a matter of months.  With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

In this compelling sequel to Unearthly, Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are.  (Summary from book - Image from www.goodreads.com)

My Review: If this review posts when I think it's going to post (and it should, because I'm scheduling it that way), then I probably already have a new baby to coo over and cuddle with.  I bet she's cute and I'm exhausted.  I also have to move out of my house tomorrow.  Ugh.  As you can see, my plate runneth over.  Anyway, feel free to take this review with a grain of salt because even though I'm writing this about two weeks ahead of time, mentally and emotionally speaking, I'm not at my best right now.  

Hallowed is the sequel to Unearthly, a paranormal romance we recently reviewed by author Cynthia Hand.  Both books tell the story of Clara Gardner, a lovely young lady who just happens to be part-angel.  I was fairly entertained by Unearthly, in an I-need-something-easy-and-romantic-to-read kind of way, and picked up the next book soon after.   In Hallowed, Clara uncovers more about her powers and what it means to be an angel blood.  Plagued and bewildered by ominous dreams, Clara spends a great deal of time trying to understand what happened the day of the fire.  Did she do the right thing?  Clara isn't certain, but one thing is for sure -- her mother is keeping quite a few secrets.  One of them is about to show up on her doorstep.

For those of you who fancy a good love triangle, Hallowed does not disappoint.  Tucker and Christian both have their good points and the increased tension between them is rather amusing at times.  I can see why Clara is torn; even now, having finished the book, I'm still not quite sure whose "team" I'm on.  I also have to give Cynthia Hand props for her not-so-subtle digs at Twilight, namely Edward Cullen's incredibly creepy tendency to watch Bella while she sleeps.  She cracks me up!

Overall, this was a fun, light read.  It's romantic but not too romantic and it provided a few hours escape from the insanity of my life. At this point, that is an absolutely miracle.  As long as the author doesn't take too long, I'll probably pick up the next book when she gets finished writing it.

My Rating: 3.75 Stars.

For the sensitive reader:  One instance of biblical profanity (think donkey).  This book is slightly more sensual than the first.  There is some making out and both shirts do come off. However, what happens next puts the kibosh on things and so it doesn't progress much further.  It also made me laugh.

Sum it up:  A fun, light paranormal romance.  It didn't knock my socks off, but it did allow me to escape reality for a while and just enjoy myself.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christian vs. Tucker poll

vote for your team! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails