Saturday, May 19, 2012

Replay - Sharon Creech

Summary:  When a young boy reluctantly becomes involved in his school play, he takes on not just the role of 'the old crone' but also a journey of discovery about his family. As the novel unfolds, a wonderful drama ensues, both in school on the stage and at home as the boy's relationship with his father becomes truer and more honest when some secrets buried in a dusty box in the attic are unveiled. A delightful novel told with the masterly control and calm excitement that we now expect from award-winning Sharon Creech. (Summary from amazon.com and image from http://rschreiber.edublogs.org/)

My Review:  I was disappointed by this book.  I don't know what I expected (there was no summary on the back of the book I own), but after hearing rave reviews of Sharon Creech's writing I do know I was expecting more substance to the plot of this book.  The first two-thirds of the book felt random and completely pointless.  Leo, the main character, was endearing enough, but the book seemed to bounce around as quickly as a 12-year-old mind does in real life.  Maybe that makes it realistic?  For me it was just random and distracting.  Finally, by the last third of the book, you start to see where the family problems, the drama within the other characters, and the maturing process of Leo finally come together and resolve.  If I were a student trying to understand a plot outline, this book would be frustrating.

There are things of value, messages such as 'things aren't always what they seem' or 'some trials are better dealt with than stuffed down deep'.  I think I'll need to give some of Creech's other more famous books a chance before judging her writing too harshly.  I was just not as impressed as I was previously persuaded to be.

Rating: 3 stars

For the sensitive reader:  Super clean.  Read away and feel free to have younger, more advanced readers give this book a try.

Sum it up:  A pre-teen grows through tough family times and finds himself and his family at the same time.

3 comments:

Marisa Hopkins said...

I haven't read this one, but after reading Walk Two Moons, and Absolutely Normal Chaos I became a permanent Creech fan. Hope you do try some of her other books! I definitely recommend Walk Two Moons!

Gretchen Buegge said...

I haven't read this one, but please give her others a try! Walk Two Moons and Ruby Holler are some of my very favorite books!

Gretchen Buegge said...

I haven't read this one by Sharon Creech. I have to agree with Marisa though, please give her others a try. Walk Two Moon and Ruby Holler are among my very favorite books of all time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails