Monday, May 21, 2012

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

Summary:  Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel.  Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans ( a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do.  Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town.  When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place -- and out of place at the same time.  Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make -- between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil.  When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.  (Summary from book - Image from www.cynthiahandbooks.com)

My Review:  So many YA paranormal romances have become crude – and I do mean crude – reproductions of Twilight that I’ve been hesitant to even bother with the genre until the fervor dies down.  However,  I’m happy that I made an exception for Unearthly.  Set mostly in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Unearthly centers around Clara, a mostly normal teenage girl who just happens to be part angel.  Yes, angel.  Clara and her family have relocated to the Rockies so that she can fulfill her purpose – a sort-of God-given task – and save a mysterious stranger from certain death.  Only, things don’t go quite as planned…

Unearthly was a unique, entertaining twist on angel mythology.   It was incredibly easy to read, requiring little to no mental effort on my part, and was fairly romantic without being over the top, if you know what I mean.   I liked that Clara’s relationships evolved over the course of the book and that I couldn’t anticipate how things were going to end.  The not knowing only made the finding out that much more delicious.  And the kisses!  There is something to be said about steamy kisses and swoon-worthy moments that do not end in the bedroom.  Unearthly has a few of them and they left my heart pounding.   I’m surprised you didn’t hear it!

I have the next book in the trilogy, Hallowed, sitting on my nightstand and I’d be reading it right now if I didn’t have a review deadline to meet for another book.  Unearthly gives some closure, but not enough for my taste.  All I have to say is that the book I read in between Unearthly and Hallowed better be stellar or I’m going to be one unhappy camper.

*SIDENOTE* - Cynthia Hand actually grew up just outside my hometown of Idaho Falls.  So many of the places she references throughout the novel were incredibly easy for me to picture because I've actually been there!  
 
My Rating: 4 Stars

For the sensitive reader:  One very brief instance of teen drinking and, eventually, lots of kissing.  Good kissing.  *Sigh*

Sum it up:  This is a sit back, relax, put your feet up, and enjoy kind of book.  It's easy.  It's romantic.  It's fun.    

1 comment:

Monica said...

I just finished reading this book and found it simply enjoyable. I too have steered away from YA paranormal romances because there were so many sloppy books being published after Twilight. This was fun though and I'm glad I saw your review for it. I'm anxious to get to the next books in the series.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails