Monday, June 18, 2012

My Summer Reading Stack

Summer has arrived. - a season for relaxation and great books. I have quite a few titles I am hoping to dig into this summer, including those listed below. What are you reading this summer?

 Family Saga:
The Year We Left Home - Jean Thompson
There is something appealing about losing yourself in another family's lives during those long, hot summer days.
Another great family saga I would highly recommend is The Moonflower Vine, reviewed here.






Reading with the kids:
City of Ember Series by Jeanne DuPrau
I have been reading this series with my children, a boy age 10 and girl age 7. We are currently on the second book, The People of Sparks, and we are all enthralled with the characters and storyline.
Read Mindy's review of the first book here.


 Dystopian Fantasy:
Arcadia - Lauren Groff
I adore these wildly imaginative stories. After reading about this one on NPR, I had to add it to my list.
RFS reviews in the genre of dystopian fiction can be found here.






Read it before you see it:
Life of Pi -Yann Martel
This one has been calling from my bookcase for the last couple years. Now that the movie version is set to release in November, it seems like the perfect time to give it a try.
This book has received positive reviews from both Mindy and Kari.
Did you know that RFS has over 50 reviews for books that have been made into movies?


Historical Fiction:
The Dovekeepers - Alice Hoffman
Hoffman's novel set in ancient Israel looks to be mesmerizing.
Read these RFS reviews if you are in search of a good historical novel.







From a Favorite Author:
Susanna Kearsley's ability to flawlessly intertwine storylines to compose tales full of action, drama, and romance makes her one of my favorite authors. I would like to dive into another one of her novels this summer. I am leaning towards Mariana.
You can find my review of The Winter Sea here.






  

 Classic:
Anna Karina - Tolstoy
This one was on my list last June as well and I am embarrassed to say that I have yet to make it past the first few pages. Perhaps this summer will yield different results. 







Reading Group Suggestion:
The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbach
I have been wanting to read this title for a while now. When I saw it included in the reading group list at Indiebound I moved it towards the top of my stack.







Waiting for the Release:
Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness
The second book in the All Souls Trilogy will be released in July. I am excited to find where this novel takes our heroine, Diana Bishop.
Read my review of A Discovery of Witches here.







Nonfiction:
The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love - Kristen Kimball
Mindy can't say enough good things about this book and I just have to know what all the fuss it about!
Read her review here.







Finishing the series:
There are two series that I have put off finishing for a multitude of reasons.
The first is Stiggg Larson's Millennium Trilogy. I have The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest left to read. Yet these are not light stories and I have found that I have not been in the proper mindset to dive into this one yet.





Extras is a campaign book to the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. I read through the series this winter but never got around to reading this one.
You can read the RFS review of this one here, as well as Uglies, Pretties, and Specials.

5 comments:

MindySue said...

Great post, Heather!

SusieBookworm (Susanna) said...

I've never heard of Arcadia as a "dystopian fantasy" before. It's about a commune, which would be categorized as a utopian experiment, and only at the very end does the novel turn into anything other than historical and then contemporary fiction.

Melissa Mc (Gerbera Daisy Diaries) said...

LOVED A Dirty Life.
My Summer reading list will be posted tomorrow.

MindySue said...

Yay! We finally agree on something other than Actor & a Housewife!

Wall-to-wall books said...

Oh my goodness! Some really great looking books there!
I keep picking up "Arcadia" everytime I see it in the store - it is so beautiful! I will watch for your review.
Love Alice Hoffman!!! Have not read this one yet!
Have not even heard of "Mariana" or the author but love the cover, LOL
I1ve got an advance copy of "Shadows of Night"!!! So I am reading it now, on page 200 something, love it so far!
And I have always wanted to read "The Dirty Life" it has been on my wish list for a long time.

Like I said - great list! LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails