Friday, July 27, 2012

Girl, Stolen - April Henry

Summary:  Sixteen-year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her stepmom fills a prescription for antibiotics.  Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, the car is being stolen.  Griffin hadn't meant to kidnap Cheyenne, but once his dad finds out that Cheyenne's father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes--now there's a reason to keep her.  How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare because she's not only sick with pneumonia--she's blind.  (Summary from back of the book and image from http://thehidingspot.blogspot.com/)

My Review:  This was not the best read I've had, nor was it the worst.  The writing was ok, the characters were fairly well-developed, and the storyline was unique enough to pull you along for 200 pages.  I loved the insight into the world of someone blind.  I enjoyed seeing it through the eyes of someone who's had her vision taken away part-way through her life.  I learned quite a bit about guide dogs, walking with a stick, how people interact with you, and even little details about how hard it would be to communicate with people when you're so used to using visual cues.

My favorite aspects to the book were the parts where I learned more about the characters' backgrounds.  Griffin and Cheyenne made the story, because without their history I think I would have grown bored with the premise.  It was also interesting how Henry painted both sides of the socio-economic spectrum--both see the people from the other world they don't live in as non-human, non-relatable.  On top of it all, Cheyenne was incredibly smart, and incredibly brave.  I can't imagine trying to live through a kidnapping experience.

I would recommend this to my students, but I do think it's written with a YA slant--meaning not much sophistication overall.

Rating:  3.5 stars

For the sensitive reader:  Violence is mentioned, but nothing gross or too detailed.


Sum it up:  An interesting twist on an accidental abduction turned ransom.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails