Monday, July 2, 2012

John Adams - David McCullough



http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/10Books/johnadams.pngSummary:  In this powerful, epic biography, David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life journey of John Adams, the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always honest Yankee patriot who spared nothing in his zeal for the American Revolution; who rose to become the second president of the United States and saved the country from blundering into an unnecessary war; who was learned beyond all but a few and regarded by some as "out of his senses"; and whose marriage to the wise and valiant Abigail Adams is one of the moving love stories in American history.

This is history on a grand scale — a book about politics and war and social issues, but also about human nature, love, religious faith, virtue, ambition, friendship, and betrayal, and the far-reaching consequences of noble ideas. Above all, John Adams is an enthralling, often surprising story of one of the most important and fascinating Americans who ever lived. (Publisher's Comments from Powells.com) 

My Review:  I have a few confessions of the type one should keep to oneself, but hey, this is the internet so why would I do that?

Confession #1 - Before reading this book I did not know that John Adams was the 2nd President of the United States.

Confession #2 - After reading this book I have a crush on John Adams that is pretty obvious when the topic comes up in conversations, which it does, because I like to talk about him.

Confession #3 - I didn't actually read this book, I listened to it on tape, read by Mr. McCullough himself.  It was amazing and 100% the way I would recommend enjoying this book. 

This book told an amazing story of the birth of our country and of the amazing men and women who brought it about.  The main character was, of course, John Adams but it also described the character and motivations of his contemporaries as well.  It follows the course of John Adams' life from birth to death and is remarkably eye-opening in respect to what it took to create a county long before and after shots were fired and documents signed.

As summer is now in full swing I would recommend this book to any who are planning to visit Boston, or Philadelphia.  And if you plan to come to Boston I highly, highly recommend visiting John Adams' birthplace in Quincy, MA, including his burial spot, where two US presidents are buried.

My rating:  5 stars

Sum It Up:  If John Adams' weren't very happily married to an amazing woman, or completely out of my league, or deceased, (and if I weren't also very happily married) then I'd totally go for him.  (In other words, if it were 1776 I'd be a total stalker.)

2 comments:

Melissa Mc (Gerbera Daisy Diaries) said...

One of these days...

Anne Bennion said...

I'll have to try listening to the book. I always get a little worried starting to read books like that because they bog me down but the listening part might change that up for me! Thanks for idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails