Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Book Spotlight: The House of Gentle Men - Kathy Hepinstall

In a year of war, sixteen-year-old Charlotte sets off on a mission of love in the backwoods of Louisiana, only to be violated by three soldiers in a lonely section of the forest. Charlotte's young life is destroyed, but another life is growing inside her. Years later, in peacetime, Charlotte comes to House of Gentle Men, a mysterious sanctuary where sad, damaged women are administered to by haunted men wishing to atone for their past crimes. Here, Charolotte falls in love with one of the Gentle Men, a tormented young soldier with a terrible secret of his own.

An artistic triumph of the highest order, this debut is a transcendent tale of salvation that celebrates the strength of the heart.

Mindy's mini-review: The House of Gentlemen is my favorite novel and one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. Ever. EVER. I have the hardest time writing reviews for the books that I really care about because I struggle to find the words to convey how they make me feel. Pretty lame for a book reviewer, eh?  So this time -- just this once -- I'm asking you to take my word for it.  Read this book.  

My Rating: 5 Stars

Sensitive reader: Some sexual situations, including a rape.

Sum it up: READ IT.

To purchase:  Powell's  /   Amazon   /   B&N

To visit the author's blog: http://kathyhepinstall.wordpress.com/ 

Kathy Hepinstall has also written three other novels:  The Absence of Nectar,  Prince of Lost Places, and the recently released Blue Asylum.

1 comment:

Melissa Mc (Gerbera Daisy Diaries) said...

It's on my shelf!! I promise to read it! Soon! Maybe! Hopefully! One Day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails