Friday, August 10, 2012

Olympic Aspirations

One of the problems I've noticed with reading as much as I do is that I have a correspondingly large imagination.  Normally, that isn't a problem, but sometimes it runs away with my concentration and all attempts of productivity (or getting back to sleep).


I'm not complaining ... especially with this little gem!  We've had a blast watching the Olympics the last few weeks, and I've loved watching my kids pretend to be Olympians.  When I found this on Pinterest, my imagination ran like Usain Bolt.  Finally, an event in which I could compete!

Some Reading-themed Olympic events I've dreamed up:
- Speed reading, obviously
- Literary Gymnastics - we could measure the competitors ability to comprehend and relate obscure texts, award points for Most Creative Reading Position, etc.
- Practical Application for the Grammar Nazis out there ... who can properly punctuate the fastest?

I could go on.  But think of the benefits of such an event!  Literacy would have to increase ... especially in State-run Olympic Teams.  I'm just thinking of the common good, people!

What Olympic reading-based events can you dream up?

*Update: Poetry used to be an actual event!  Read all about it, here.

1 comment:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Relay reading! One person starts a book, reads a couple chapters - passes it to the next person, they read a couple chapters, etc.

Olympic reading - fun idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails