Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The New Vegetarian Grill - Andrea Chesman

Summary: At last, vegetarians can take leave of the hot kitchen and be part of the casual backyard fun long reserved for carnivores. Nonvegetarians, too, can take a healthy break from, or find the perfect side dish for, their usual outdoor fare. In 250 grill-tested recipes for smoky, succulent, fire-kissed food, Andrea Chesman makes room on the grill for a feast of new foods and flavors, from simple sides and salads to hearty burgers, burritos, pizzas, pastas, and more. (Summary from book.)

My Review: Yep, another Andrea Chesman cookbook. After falling in love with The Roasted Vegetable and (eventually) Recipes From the Root Cellar, buying The New Vegetarian Grill was a no-brainer. I adore this woman. I adore her recipes. I adore grilling. Clearly, I would love this book. And I do.

We started off with her Grilled Ratatouille, which was the first time I'd made any type of ratatouille. I was surprised that my kids like it so much because it contained vegetables they don't usually enjoy (eggplant and zucchini). The other day I made a variation of her Chili-Stuffed Zucchini (a mixture of beans, salsa, and cheese spooned into hollowed out zucchini halves and grilled), using salsa verde and ground beef instead of beans. We loved that one even more, and my kids actually admitted that they liked the zucchini. The other night we had her Greek Salad Pitas with Grilled Eggplant. SO GOOD. Her recipes are made from such basic ingredients, but combined with a little technique truly become more than a sum of their parts.

I've got a huge to-do list stuck inside this book. She even includes dessert recipes. (I'm dying to grill pound cake now.) I'm going to stay very, very close to this book until it snows.

Rating: 5

Sum It Up: A surprisingly versatile collection of grilling recipes that will please both picky eaters and devout carnivores.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails