Friday, September 28, 2012

Weelicious: One Family. One Meal - Catherine McCord

Summary: After her son was born in 2007, Catherine McCord sought out resources to teach her how to prepare fresh, healthy, appealing meals for young kids -- but she came up empty. With culinary school under her belt and a hungry baby to feed, Catherine started Weelicious.com, a website that has since grown into a comprehensive offering of kid-friendly family meals.

Complete with beautiful color photos, tips and tools, lists of pantry staples, feeding plans, and more than seventy new recipes never before seen on Weelicious.com, Weelicious makes it easy to get kids eating healthy foods from their first bite. Catherine teaches parents how to turn their kids into great eaters who appreciate food and are open to exciting new flavors. (Summary from book, image from coolmompicks.com)

My Review: This may be the cutest cookbook in my collection. It's bright, colorful, and has recipes that promise to have your kids cleaning their plates. A few of the intro topics include handling picky eaters, frugal (yet healthy) grocery shopping, and getting your kids involved in the kitchen. There's even a section about feeding infants and recipes for making baby purees! As I read, I mentally high-fived the author because she shares many of my opinions about feeding children -- starting good habits in the beginning and not turning into a short order cook.

As much as I loved her philosophy, I have to say the recipes disappointed me somewhat. It seemed that most of the recipes (in the breakfast, dinner, & sides categories) were very dependent on starches. Too dependent for my taste -- lots of pasta and refined white flour and not enough vegetables. I try to make our meals vegetable-based, and although she included a few recipes with decent produce, I saw white potatoes and corn way more than I would have liked.

That being said, I think this would be an excellent book for someone who is trying to transition from a processed diet to one filled with whole foods -- especially if picky children are involved. Mac 'n' cheese from scratch is definitely a step up from opening a box.

I steered clear of the carbs and tried her Turkey Pesto Meatballs, Veggie Nuggets (vegetarian version of chicken nuggets), and Spinach Ricotta Bites. The Veggie Nuggets were strange, perhaps because I did some substituting, but the other two got great reviews from my kids, which is the most important thing!

With (or without) a bit of tweaking to the recipes, I think this book would be a fantastic resource for families!
 
My Rating: 4 stars

Sum it up: A must-have book for picky eaters!

Want a free copy of this book? Go over to Perry's Plate and enter to win! Giveaway closes October 2nd.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails