Monday, October 29, 2012

The Goddess Test - Aimee Carter

Summary:  Every girl who has taken the test has died.  Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying.  Her last wish?  To move back to her childhood home.  So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry.  Dark.  Tortured.  And mesmerizing.  He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld - and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy - until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead.  Now saving her mother seems crazily possible.  IF she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

If she fails...

(Summary from book - Image from www.lakewoodtimes.net )

My Review:  I love mythology.  Despite a professor in college that did his level best to ruin it for me, I just can't seem to pass up books that even hint at the Greek or Roman pantheon.  It's a weakness.  In this book, a young girl named Kate has a run-in with a boy who claims to be Hades, Lord of the Underworld.  To save a life, she makes a deal with him and soon finds herself thrown into a world of gods and goddesses that she never believed existed.  In this world Kate must complete seven tests to attain immortality and have the time she needs to save her mother.  Unfortunately, not everyone is rooting for Kate to succeed and her life, or what she has left of it, is in incredible danger.

The Goddess Test managed to soothe, if not entirely satisfy,  my craving for mindless, romantic, stress-free reading.  It might not be high quality literature, but it was an entertaining way pass the time as I soaked my injured knees in the hot tub at our local gym. (Note to self:  Running is lame.  Reading is much more fun and less likely to cause injury.)  Since this is only the first book in the series, I was worried that I'd be left hanging, and I was, a little.  There was enough resolution at the end to keep me from having a coronary, but there was also enough left unsaid that I have already put my copy of the sequel, Goddess Interrupted, on hold at the library.

My favorite part about this book I can't really tell you about because it would ruin a huge part of the story.  However, I will say that not everyone in this book is who they say they are or who they appear to be.  Some aspects of the story were thoroughly obvious, but others completely took me by surprise.  If you are truly evil and want to spoil things for yourself, make sure to look at the character glossary at the back of the book.  Seriously, don't do it.  It's more fun to be surprised.

My Rating: 4 Stars

For the sensitive reader:  A few instances of profanity (one or two, I think).  Some violence.  A little bit of making out with extremely vague references to the sexual intimacy that followed.  Also, some might take issue with the whole "becoming a Goddess" thing.

Sum it up:  Mindless, romantic, stress-free reading.  Just what the doctor ordered.

3 comments:

Editt said...

I come over here so often for my next book to read, I probably should say something. Thank you! This book sounds like something my doctor would order. I have requested the ebook (perfect for feeding the baby and being entertained).

Lynette said...

Thanks so much for the great review! I LOVE mythology, so I'd seen this book before, but I wasn't sure if I'd like it. It sounds like a great book! I can't wait to read it!

Monica said...

Just finished this book and really enjoyed it. Can't say it was amazing - but like you said "Mindless, romantic, stress-free reading" just what I needed. Thanks for the review!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails