Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Carnival Girl - Sonja Herbert

Summary: The only life little Sonja Francesco has ever known is traveling the carnival circuit and living with her five siblings in a tiny caravan home. The family never stays anywhere long enough for Sonja to make friends or develop roots. The only one in her family, Sonja always believed in God and wants to belong to a church. 

At fourteen, Sonja meets the Mormon missionaries and develops a strong testimony of the truth of the Gospel. But can she live the commandments while traveling with the carnival and running one of the attractions every Sunday? Will it be possible for her to leave her family’s life behind and live the life she has always dreamed of? (from goodreads.com - book given free for an honest review)

My Review:  Reading is always an escape for me, and I must admit that some smallish part of me gets really excited when I'm sick, because it means a reading day.  Hooray for sick days!  Carnival Girl was exactly when I needed on an evening that I was trying to stave off a ghastly migraine along with a beastly cold.  Herbert has crafted her story in  a series of flashbacks to her adolescent life in Germany, as her elderly mother visits her in the United States.  It was well-written, moved quickly, and painted a lovely story of her conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ.  

One thing that irked me, however, is that Herbert felt the need to point out what a good author she is by listing each award each chapter in her book had won.  It's something that's small, but it got on my nerves.  She's a good enough author and talented enough that I didn't need that.

Rating:  Three and a half stars.


For the Sensitive Reader:  This is a squeaky clean read!  There is one incident where Sonja leans why not to leave the safety of her carnival with a strange man, but nothing disturbing happens.  

3 comments:

Brooklyn Berry said...

I read this book too and totally forgot about the awards. I found it confusing that she kept talking about writing a book about her mother (I assumed it was this book) and in my review she said it WASN'T for her... Oh well, I loved the book anyways! Just a funny quirk.

Allison said...

I hadn't heard of this book before but, it does sound interesting! Thanks for pointing it out to me. :)

~Allison @ Good Books and Good Wine

Sonja Herbert said...

Thanks so much for the great review of Canival Girl. I'm sorry you were turned off by the mention of where and why certain chapters were published earlier. I hadn't intended to blow my own horn about my skills. It's just that some places require me to mention that they previously published parts of the book, and which parts. And, to be honest, I didn't mind the little bit extra advertising!
Thanks again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails