Monday, November 12, 2012

Cooking with Love - Carla Hall

Summary: Carla Hall is co-host of ABC's daily lifestyle series The Chew. Carla first won the hearts of fans nationwide on Bravo's Top Chef. When she returned for Top Chef All-Stars, she went on to win Fan Favorite with her warmth, enthusiasm, and delicious food. In this book, she serves up more than 100 fantastic recipes that revolutionize comfort food by using fresh ingredients in her twists on tried-and-true classics.

From the Southern staple Down-Home Deviled Eggs with Smoky Bacon to silky and light Spicy Carrot-Ginger Soup to the ultimate Chicken Pot Pie with buttery crust on the bottom to her Granny's unforgettably luscious Five-Flavor Pound Cake, Carla's beautiful, flavorful recipes are so deeply satisfying, they'll become family favorites in your kitchen.

Carla believes that the only way to make truly comforting food is to cook it from the heart. Summary from the book, image from Redbookmag.com.

My Review: Comfort food that "hugs" you, huh? When I received this book I was prepared for oodles of decadent pasta recipes, pastries, mashed potatoes, cream soups, and other things that are usually considered "comforting."

Instead of ooey-gooey, rich, indulgent, carb-loaded stuff that leaves you feeling bloated, tired, and pained with indigestion (is that just me?), her recipes have nice, fresh twists and a sprinkle of Southern charm. To me, "comfort food" is something that I feel good after eating, which is why I love this book so much!

We tried her Rustic Mushroom Tart and her Mixed Greens and Pan-Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette for dinner one night. My kids loved the tart AND the salad. The apple cider vinaigrette is the bomb.

We also tried her Buffalo Wing Burgers (wing sauce-flavored turkey burgers) with Spicy Mayo and Celery and Blue Cheese Slaw (with goat cheese because we do NOT heart blue cheese). We had them bunless with a side of sweet potato fries. Loved it!

Another thing I love about her book are the personal stories she shares and the catering tips. Carla Hall also ran a catering company, and I think it was a brilliant idea to share her catering wisdom in her book.

I don't know Carla Hall, but I feel like I just spent a week with her. I think if we met in person, we would hug immediately. Sharing good food tends to do that, and I can't wait to dig into more of her recipes.

My Rating: 5 stars

Sum it Up: I feel hugged. And I'm going back for more.

Want to win a copy of this book?  
Go over to Perry's Plate and leave a comment on this post.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

I'll have to check this one out! I love cooking, but I have the tiniest kitchen, so I really have to be inspired to spend lots of time in there!

P.S. I love your reviews! They're smart and funny and it feels like I'm talking to a friend when I read them. Definitely an inspiration for my own review blog :)

-Abbie
abbiereadsbooks.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails