Friday, November 16, 2012

The Inheritance - Louisa May Alcott

Book Summary: Influenced by the melodrama of the contemporary theater and the popular gothic novels of the time, Louisa May Alcott weaves a tale far removed from the reality of her everyday life in Boston. With a charm reminiscent of Jane Austen's novels, "The Inheritance" sets love and courtesy against depravity and dishonor--and with the help of a secret inheritance, allows virtue to prevail.

My Review:  Louisa May Alcott may be the reason I was so determined (for a time) to be an author.  Like many (most?  every?) young ladies, I identified with her wonderful depiction of Jo, and fancied myself to have her same talents.  When I stumbled upon this book, Alcott's first novel (penned at SEVENTEEN), I was convinced I would love it as much as I did Little Women.

I didn't.  

Remember those scenes in Little Women where Jo feels discouraged with her writing, and those around her (Laurie) tease her for her highfaluting language and melodramatic style?  This is that book.  The only thing that kept me reading was remembering that Alcott was seventeen.  I hadn't published anything at seventeen.  It's sappily romantic, completely predictable, and pretty ridiculous.  However, it makes me appreciate how far Alcott came in her writing in a way I couldn't have otherwise. 

My Rating: Two stars

For the Sensitive Reader:  Nothing to fear.  I think the most risqu√© action is a kiss on the hand.

1 comment:

MindySue said...

A kiss on the HAND?! How thoroughly disappointing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails