Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Twice Upon a Time: Rapunzel, The One with All the Hair - Wendy Mass

Summary:  The girl's stuck in a tower.
The boy's stuck in a castle.
There are two sides to every story...

Rapunzel is having the ultimate bad day.  She's been stolen from home by an evil witch, locked in an incredibly high tower, and doesnt' even have a decent brush for her hair.

Prince Benjamin is in a pretty uncomfortable position himself.  His father wants him to be more kingly, his mother wants him to never leave her sight, and his cousin wants to get him into as much trouble as possible.  Plus, there's the little matter of prearranged marriages...

Both Rapunzel and Prince Benjamin are trapped -- in very different ways.  It's only when their paths cross that things really start to change.  (Summary from book - Image from www.en.libooki.com )

My Review:  Cute. Cute. Cute.  That's pretty much all I have to say about this book.

What?  You need more?  Well, if you insist....

Rapunzel, The One with All the Hair is the first book in the Twice Upon a Time Series by Wendy Mass  (followed by Sleeping Beauty, The One Who Took the Really Long Nap and Beauty and the Beast, The Only One Who Didn't Run Away).  The author tells the story of Rapunzel from two perspectives:  her own and that of her sort-of rescuer, Prince Benjamin.

Thankfully, this is one of those books that I really didn't mind reading to my girls.  Was it intellectually riveting?  Psssshhh.  Absolutely not.  However, it was funny and adorable and it made my girls giggle.  A lot.  I can't really ask for much more when it comes to finding a book they both want to read ( I swear, it's like they have agreed to permanently disagree on everything).  I thought it was refreshing to finally hear the Prince's side of things.  That never happens in these types of fairy tales!  Also, each character's personality and unique voice helped me feel like I was reading something I'd never read before, instead of revisiting a story I've heard/told/seen/read about nine kabillion times.  Like I said.  Cute!  I've already picked up Sleeping Beauty, the One Who Took the Really Long Nap from our local bookstore.

Here's what the kind-of-little munchkins had to say:

Kaisa (age 9) says:  "I just liked it.  I don't know why.  Every part seemed pretty good.  I didn't like that the chapters were smaller because you didn't get as much detail out of them [And, I suspect, that means that when they asked for only one more chapter, they didn't get much more story.]"

Sophie (age 7) says:  "That was one of my favorite ones that you had read yet.  We have lots more of those books to read and it makes me feel like I'm going to explode."

My Rating:  4 Stars.  I'd recommend it, but mostly to younger readers (6-12), or to read aloud to young readers.

For the sensitive reader:  I got nothin'.  There's a witch.  She's not that scary.

Sum it up:  Cute. Cute. Cute.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails