Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Bad Case of Stripes - David Shannon

Summary:  Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don''t like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she''s so worried that she''s about to break out in… a bad case of stripes! (Summary from Amazon.com and image from ayearofmanyfirsts.blogspot.com)

My Review:  By now I'm sure some of you are thinking, does Kari read anything other than children's books?!  Well, yes.  I do.  But the week I've been posting all these reviews has been spring break here and I've been on a reading spree with my girls. 

This book was new to me, although the author was not.  We've read and loved the No, David!  books for some time. I was happily surprised, as it is very different from the No, David!  books.  This one is about more than just unconditional love.  This is about loving yourself, accepting yourself, and not allowing what other people think to change who you are. 

There are a couple aspects that are creepy.  Both my girls were a bit freaked out when the case of stripes morphed Camilla's actual body shape--therefore, read to your children at your own caution.  That said, after the first reading, it didn't bother them at all.  I personally think the overall message out weighs the imagery that can be a tad disturbing.  (Sprouting a tail, growing leaves, and being covered with ever-changing shapes and colors would be frightening to most of us.)

For the sensitive reader:  The pictures of Camilla changing shapes and colors is a bit disturbing to young, impressionable, and literal minds.  You know your kid--read if you know it wouldn't bother them, even though it's all make-believe.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Sum it up:  A story that teaches the importance of not trying to please everyone.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails