Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day - Judith Viorst

Summary:  Alexander knew it was going to be a terrible day when he woke up with gum in this hair.
And it got worse...

His best friend deserted him. There was no dessert in his lunch bag. And, on top of all that, there were lima beans for dinner and kissing on TV!

This handsome new edition of Judith Viorst's classic picture book is sure to charm readers of all ages.  (Summary from Amazon.com and image from  http://www.aceshowbiz.com)

My Review:  I was asked to do a presentation to Head Start parents on early childhood literacy.  While preparing I wanted to draw on the audience's experiences and positive feelings about books.  Helping parents see the importance of reading to their children at an early age is the start of a literate life.  Thus, the question I asked was: What is your favorite book--it can be a children's book, picture book, novel, coffee table book, etc.  I believe all people, if exposed to quality children's literature, have a favorite children's book.  I can't honestly say this is my favorite children's book (that's like saying you have a favorite child, right?!), but it's right up there in the Top 10.  And, because I wanted to lead by example, I shared the story of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Because this is such a classic, and figuring you all had read it before, I had not reviewed it.  It got me thinking though.  What if this was a children's book that somehow slipped your childhood?  If so, I do hope you pick it up and read it.  Regardless of your age, this is a story that appeals to all.

Alexander experiences what we all experience: Hard Days.  Days that just don't go our way.  Days that seem to never end. Days where our good intentions are drowned in the reality of life.  Days where we just want to move away and leave it all behind.  And this is the reason this book speaks to so many people.  It has such a universal theme.  It doesn't matter what your background is, where you live, or even if you've had all the same experiences as Alexander.  We've all been there in one form or another.  Life has disappointments, and despite Australia tempting us all to move away from our current problems, we get through it.  

I LOVE this book!

Here are a couple images from the book for your viewing pleasure:


For the sensitive reader:  Squeaky clean.

Rating: 5 Stars

Sum it up: We've all had these kind of days--and sadly it starts way too young!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails