Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My Man Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse


Summary:  Who can forget our beloved gentleman's personal gentleman, Jeeves, who ever comes to the rescue when the hapless Bertie Wooster falls into trouble. My Man Jeeves is sure to please anyone with a taste for pithy buffoonery, moronic misunderstandings, gaffes, and aristocratic slapstick.

Contents:
"Leave It to Jeeves"
"Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest"
"Jeeves and the Hard-boiled Egg"
"Absent Treatment"
"Helping Freddie"
"Rallying Round Old George"
"Doing Clarence a Bit of Good"
"The Aunt and the Sluggard"
Summary and cover image taken from goodreads.com

My Review:  I’ve had a steady diet of heavy reading the last little while, and a friend of mine suggested My Man Jeeves as a good palate-cleanser.  Something light, funny, and good at brightening the mood.

The book is more a collection of short stories, little snippets of aristocratic trouble in which Wooster finds himself (or his friends) embroiled, and usually relying on Jeeves’ quick thinking to resolve.  It wasn’t quite as hilarious as I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it!  Jeeves is the kind of mind I’d want to get to know, and I’m really intrigued at Bertie Wooster’s backstory.  So little of it was revealed in this first book, it certainly made me want to check out a few more of Wodehouse’s novels. 

Wodehouse’s style of writing was so easy to read, I wonder if this would be a good series to listen to.  He incorporates so much of the 20s-lingo, I imagine it would only add to the hilarity!

My Rating:  Three and a half stars

For the Sensitive Reader:  No worries here!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails