Tuesday, June 25, 2013

It's All Good - Gwyneth Paltrow

Summary: "I decided that we needed to create this book, not only for my family, byt also for anyone out there who struggles with finding truly delicious food to feed their family when health issues need to be addressed. So no matter if you are doing an elimination diet; a lean-protein-based weight-loss diet; a food allergy program that steers you away from gluten and dairy; or if you just want to focus a bit more on nutritious food -- there are recipes and weekly menus here for you. 


Most importantly, not matter what you want or need to cut out, for whatever reason, mealtimes should always feel happy  not like a punishment. If I've learned anything, it's that it's all a process. 'Falling off' your plan is part of it, not a reason to beat yourself up. It takes time to make these changes. It's all good." -- Gwyneth Paltrow Image from grandcentrallifeandstyle.com, summary from book.

My Review: Despite all of the harsh reviews this book has gotten, I will come right out and say, unabashedly, that I really enjoyed it. Ms. Paltrow (I'd call her "Gwyneth," but I don't think we're on a first-name basis yet.) recently went through an elimination diet prescribed by her doctor to help resolve some heath issues. The diet worked, and thus her book was born, filled with healthy recipes, gorgeous photos, and a section describing the ins and outs of her restrictive diet.

I have to say that I don't agree with all of her nutrition advice, but then again, I don't agree with 100% of the nutrition advice in any of my other cookbooks. When I read a cookbook, I look at the recipes. And the ingredients. Then I adapt them to my liking. Her recipes are filled with fresh, nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables, clean meats, VERY little gluten and dairy, and some alternative grains. That's a diet I can be excited about.

I wrote a review of It's All Good over at Food Fanatic where I shared some of the beautiful images from the book as well as a recipe for homemade Hoisin Sauce.

My Rating: 4 stars






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails