Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Summer Blockbusters for the Literary Mind

Move over, Hollywood, today we're talking book Blockbusters!

Don't get me wrong, I love a good summer blockbuster.  But more than that, I love good summer books I can stash in my bag and lose myself in during the hot summer days.

Here are a few of my summer "Blockbusters" (Disclaimer:  Some of these I've read.  Some I plan on reading.  Some may turn out to be terrible .... or they could become new favorites!)

Admittedly, I didn't love Dan Brown's third installment, but I'm excited to get back to Europe with Professor Langdon and see what else Brown has cooked up!

Have you read Legend?  Why not!?  Get it!  Marie Lu has created an eerily fascinating and realistic future dystopia on the West Coast with a "villain" you can't help but develop a huge crush on!

My first exposure to Warm Bodies was a preview at another film (and I fully reserve the right to keep that film secreted away in the recesses of my guilty pleasures box!).  I didn't know it was based on a book until I watched the commentaries after the DVD, and I knew I had to check it out!

This woman!  She is so inappropriate, the language is truly terrible, but nearly every book I read of hers I laugh so hard I snort!  She's also the authoress of my favorite tweet ever.

In a departure from Carol's typical fare, she tells the story of her daughter Carrie and their battle to overcome the addictions that tore their family apart.  Sadly, Carrie succumbed to cancer when she was 37, and the second part of the book contains a short story she was working on during her last months.  

I have some others on my stack as well -- but I want to hear from you!  What am I missing?!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I definitely will be checking out Inferno and now I want to read Carrie and Me. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails