Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion

Summary:  'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight... (Image and summary taken from goodreads.com)

My Review:  I’m ashamed to admit that I first heard of Warm Bodies through the movie.  Previews are my favorite part of any movie (it drives my husband crazy), but I was oddly intrigued, categorized it as Twilight with Zombies, and decided to watch it when the DVD came out. 

Then my husband watched it on a flight and told me how surprised he was – so we checked it out.  It was surprisingly good!  So much so that I stayed up watching the Bonus Features, and hearing everyone gush about the book, I decided I needed to check it out.  It didn’t disappoint!

Marion has created a post-apocalyptic world that we get to view through R’s eyes, a zombie still struggling to understand this new world.  It’s fascinating to peek into R’s mind, to view the pseudo-religion and ways of life the zombies try to enforce: zombie school, zombie church, marriages, adoptions, etc.  But R’s attempts to fit in don’t take, and when he meets the plague that has created this new state starts to fade and he starts to fight back. 

The book ends differently, more sadly, than the movie, and it left me feeling a little down.  But overall, this was a great read.  Word is a sequel is in the works, and you can bet I’ll be reading that!

My Rating:  4 stars.  If you’re going to indulge in zombie lit, this is a fresh perspective worth indulging.  (Wait, can I say “fresh” when it’s relating to zombies?!)


For the Sensitive Reader:  Julie has a potty mouth.  And was quite the wild child.  There are also a few sex scenes that are disturbingly sad.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails